I'm on Instagram!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

what could it be?

I was sitting at my manager's desk, going through my work plan for next week, when I saw an email alert coming up on his screen...

From: Partner 1
To: Partner 2
CC: Manager
Subject: DINA
Importance: High

OMG!!! What could it be??? My manager, being the qualified accountant that he is, said it was not ethical to open the email in front of me, and clearly this is private and confidential. Me, being the newly qualified accountant who couldn't care less about ethics when I am involved, kept pushing him to open it, open it! Seeing how panicked I was, he said it's probably nothing, not to worry. Easy for you to say...

Shortly after, I was sitting at my desk, racking my brain to think of what I've done to piss off the partners, when an email came from Partner 1... "Dina, are you still in the office? Do you want to pop in?" This was 430pm on a Friday afternoon, I might actually get fired today. I knew celebrating passing the exams too early was going to hit me back, karma!

So, I went to her office, with palms all sweaty. Started with some small chat, and then she asked about my plans for next year. She said that she was aware my move to Ireland was not happening till May next year due to the Deloitte office not doing very well there. She then said they've been very happy with my work so far this year *blush blush* and are keen to keep me in the firm. She asked me about the fiance, and I told her about him doing his exams so that he can work in the UK. This caught her attention, and after some discussion, we came up with a plan for myself. Either:

  1. Get a secondment to the Deloitte office in Ireland. Then, when the fiance has passed his exams, we can move back to the UK. And she can try to get him a placement in a hospital here, using her NHS connections. 
  2. If they are not taking in secondees, the office can give me a career break, so that I can still move to Ireland to be with the husband-to-be. But I can't work in Ireland during this time, so may not the best option, but at least I get to be with him. And I have a job waiting for me when I come back to the UK. 
Both options sounds good, but I may want to move back home once the fiance is done with exams. I don't think audit is the way to go for me. But the job security from staying with Deloitte is very appealing. 

I have a lot of thinking to do now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment