I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

the world cup

It's hard not to get sucked into this whole World Cup madness. Before this, my knowledge of football is limited to the following:
  1. David Beckham plays for LA Galaxy but previously played for Manchester United and Real Madrid.
  2. Liverpool's captain is Steven Gerrard. I fear I might suddenly be fiance-less if I don't know this.
  3. John Terry is the guy who had an affair with the lingerie model, and lost the England captaincy as a result.
  4. Did I mention David Beckham?
Now, I know...
  1. Who Messi is - plays for Argentina and Barcelona, had a growth hormone deficiency when he was younger and Barcelona paid for his medical bills (don't you just love Wikipedia?)
  2. What the offside rule is all about - you can't be ahead of the other team's defenders when the ball first goes to the other side of the field. *clap clap*
  3. How the whole points system works- very tricky I tell you.
  4. and many more!
It's funny when you see people who have never really had a keen interest in football ie me...
  • shouting at the TV for the striker to move forward - (ie Torres and Rooney who barely touched the ball in this tournament)
  • demanding where the hell are the defenders (England vs Germany)
  • asking everyone who they have on their Fantasy Football team and giving opinions on each player as if I'm an expert- anyone who has Schneider (Holland) and Klose (Germany) is at the top of the league now, anyone who has John Terry is at the bottom.
But what amazes me the most is how something like the World Cup can bring people together. You see a group of people watching the football, and when there is a goal, they jump and hug each other. Pretty sure these people barely know each other but in the spirit of the game, it seems like they are just 1 big family. How nice :)

I leave you with an image that will forever put a smile on my face...
Why do you think I watched all the England matches? So worth the 90 minutes, just to catch a glimpse of this man. *drool*

3 comments:

  1. this is what we call world cup fever! :p

    u rase sapa menang world cup this year! i want oranje to win!! n esok i gi beli jersey derang k

    ReplyDelete
  2. beckham kah itu?
    apa pasai die duduk sorg2?
    hehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. sayang - i rasa germany la menang, kita tunggu dan lihat k

    baby - yes dear, it's beckham. I pun tatau nape dia duduk sorang2, but it gives me a clear view of him, so i don't care! hehe

    ReplyDelete