I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

An English Wedding

I attended a wedding today. The bride is a former work colleague of mine (she left the firm last year). It was held at St Helen's Church, which is right next to the Gherkin. I have never been this close to the Gherkin before. It truly is a beautiful building.


This is my first time attending an English wedding, so I was very excited. I've only ever seen it in the movies, so I wanted to see how it was in real life. The ceremony started with the bride walking down the aisle with her father. Then the minister led them through their vows, and announced them as husband and wife. There were a few hymns sang after, and the minister gave a mini sermon on what makes a good marriage. I found this part very interesting, as although he quoted various verses from the Bible, the underlying message was very similar to the Muslim guidance - respect your husband, respect each other, and believe that God will always guide you through.

A few pictures taken from today...

The massive organ inside the church

With Tayha.

Tayha, Louise and Caroline. 

the back of the bride's dress. So pretty!

Cupcakes! I had 2. Tak malu betul.

the happy bride.

Moi. Bored while waiting for my colleagues to arrive.

It was a beautiful ceremony. I think there is more pressure on the girl compared to a Malay wedding, as they have to say their vows out loud. In Malay weddings, only the guy has to say the akad. Terketar lutut laki tu. If I had to recite any vows during the wedding, I would probably break down halfway through from uncontrollable sobbing. hehe 

Ok, am going out now to watch Eclipse. FINALLY. Jacob!!!

2 comments:

  1. E'eh baru prasan.. U pilih ikram! Yeayy I like him

    ReplyDelete
  2. my sister and my mum yang pilih. and then azz told me dia pun amik ikram dulu so i ok je. kalau tk recommended susah jugak.

    ReplyDelete