I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Working Mum

I am finally back at work after a long year off. I have to say, it feels good to be back. I loved being at home with Yasmin but for me, to be a better mother, I need to go to work. Just to keep myself sane. Being a SAHM is no joke. It’s probably THE toughest job I’ve ever had, which is pretty serious considering I was in audit for the last 6 years. Truly rewarding though, especially when I get to witness all her milestones, from sitting up to walking!

My first day was pretty uneventful. Got shown to my desk/cubicle. Was given a laptop which had not been updated which rendered me useless for the rest of the day. IT was pretty much was sitting at my desk the whole time updating and installing stuff. While waiting, I studied last year’s financial statements as that’ll be my main area of responsibility. I’m working in the Finance department, within the Management Reports section. I deal with various reporting requirements for the company covering group (monthly, quarterly), statutory (annually) and regulatory. Sounds like a lot but I have a team of 10 people working for me so delegation is key!

Speaking of my team, they’re a pretty nice bunch. They brought me out to lunch and invited me to attend the Finance dept Zumba classes every Tuesday (woot woot!). Super friendly people.  There’re a few fellow pumping mummies as well so it’s nice to have someone to talk to during our sessions. 

It’s pretty early days to say whether I’m enjoying the work. Days are long. 12 hour days are common around here. I try to get home before Yasmin's bedtime at least twice a week. Sorry baby girl but you have to be a bit independent now ok? She's taking it very well, so proud of her. Hasn't been crying out for me or acting up, Alhamdullilah.

Hopefully I made the right decision in choosing this job :)

Excuse my attempt at capturing a panaromic picture of my workstation. The view is great, as I get to see how bad the traffic is from my window lol. Can assess when to go home easily :D

2 comments:

  1. Omg... bestnya! I think your 10 year plan mmg working out well for you yang!

    1 year off for Yasmin was prolly a good break dun u think??? Now back at work, fully recharged and Yasmin is also big enough to learn being an independent baby like her mummy :D.

    All the best deens and i'm sure ALLAH has planned this for you..

    Anywah, SAHM??? Whats that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 year plan? haha you still remember! Slighly derailed because of the year off, but hopefully not too behind ;) and yes, it was nice to take time off after working non stop for the last 6 years.

      Btw, SAHM means stay at home mum :)

      Delete