I'm on Instagram!

Friday, January 4, 2013

The lows

Yasmin Athirah is 5 weeks old today Alhamdullilah. She is growing big and strong thanks to mummy's milk. We have a 6 weeks checkup next week and I can't wait to weigh her then!
People have been asking me about how I feel motherhood is like. For the most part, motherhood is amazing. But I'm not going to lie,there are definitely some days when you just feel so down and low. For me, the feeling comes when Yasmin won't stop crying and I can't figure out why. The other day I couldn't take it anymore and I asked the husband to takeover while I go into another room for a break. I know it sounds awful and I felt so guilty but at the time it felt like the best decision. True enough, I felt a lot calmer after and was able to deal with Yasmin better after that.
People tell you about the sleepless nights but nothing can truly prepare you for it . For me, the lack of sleep/rest escalated because Yasmin refuses to sleep if I put her down. She will only sleep while in my arms. I am writing this entry with one hand while the other is cradling Yasmin. During the day I can barely get anything done. I have to wait till night time to cook, do laundry, wash dishes etc while the husband takes over cradling duties. I once had to hold her in one arm and pump milk with the other, not an easy feat! Also, washing my hair is a luxury now. Showers are limited to 5 to 10 mins a time. Gone are the days of my relaxing rose baths!
It does seem like I'm complaining a lot but it's the truth. Motherhood is not easy. It's important that you get the support you need for everyone's wellbeing. Saying that, the smiles I get from Yasmin when she is dreaming in her sleep is ever so cute. And the feeling you get when she falls asleep on your shoulders - priceless.

5 comments:

  1. Hello.. Dulu umar pon mcm tu.. Only nk tdo kt my arm.. Midwives advised tdokn umar atas my chest while I am sleeping.. It worked for me.. Umar dulu nk tdo kt by himself only after he 2 mths.. So u'll b ok.. :-).. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. i went through that too, Dina. Siap mintak one day off a week from Hazmi from mummy's duty. Being a mother IS the hardest job ever! but it gets better. Trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. COngrats Dina!!!.. don't worry ur not alone in this. Almost all new moms go through this and I say almost because some people seems to have nothing bad at all to say which amazes me because I'm certainly not one of them.. But it does get A LOT better. If not after a month, it'll definitely get better after 2. You're lucky to get more than 2 months maternity leave so enjoy and take your time to adjust to it all. And yes we do need breaks so don't be ashamed to ask for it because it is for the well being of EVERYONE in the family. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg dina, i thought i sorang je felt that way! plus my husband is so far away; lagi lah at the earlier weeks rase macam depressed pon ada. i became moody; mrh sbb husband i kene kerja jauh. hahahhaa.

    but yeah, it does gets better. my baby still suke sleep on my chest; so i make sure i ade dkt tengah2 katil. just incase takut die tergolek from my chest and jatuh pulak. nauzubillah. despite my parents slaloo advised not to do that nnti leceh once i start working, i prefer having her on me while she's asleep- at night la. daytime; aiyoyo ini mcm cannot do any work at all! so i always tell her i need to do this and that; she sort of understands ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. why don't you get one of those baby sling/carrier? put baby in it and you can continue doing other stuffs without breaking your arms and back. good luck!

    ReplyDelete