I'm on Instagram!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Baby sleep habits 101

As mentioned before Yasmin only wants to sleep in my arms. Being the resourceful mother that I am (heh) I googled 'how to put newborns to sleep' and most of the results had the same advice:
1. Look for signs that your baby is sleepy ie extra fussy, rubbing eyes, staring blankly at something.
2. Put your baby down in her cot and let her fall asleep on her own. The reason being that if the baby falls asleep in her cot it would be easier for her to fall back asleep if she was to wake up.
3. Leave her to sleep on her own as they may not sleep if they see you and make eye contact.
Now I think they need to revisit the definition of 'newborn'. When I tried this with Yasmin, the moment I put her down, her eyes shot wide open. Then I left the room and she screamed bloody murder.
So after 6 weeks with Yasmin, I think my only advice for mums to put newborns to sleep is:
1. Hold and rock your baby till she falls asleep.
2. Continue to hold her when she's asleep.
3. Never ever put her down unless you want to spend another hour consoling her.
4. As she gets older, look for signs that she is dead asleep - for Yasmin this is when both her arms are up above her head. We call this her 'Allah hu Akbar' gesture. Then only can you put her down. Be informed that this can only be tried from week 4 onwards.
5. Ignore all housework. The dishes can wait. Just use paper plates for the time being.
I'm happy to announce that the above only applies to Yasmin during the day. She can fall asleep on her own at night time thank God. So it does get better. Gradually.

No comments:

Post a Comment