My colleague is of Asian-Bangladeshi descent. He was born in the UK and grew up here as well. He was telling me that he thinks he is ready to get married. I asked him does he have a special someone already? He said, no, but his parents will sort it out. I then realised that he was talking about an arranged marriage. Apparently it's quite common in their culture.
I asked him how it works, so he said his parents will ask other families, find someone suitable for him based on their social and economic background, they'll meet once under the watchful eye of their families, get engaged, and probably be married within 6 months. Things move quick in their circle!
Although I completely respect that, I can't picture myself being married to someone I've never met or talked to before. I am so thankful that the husband and I had 7 years to get to know each other before we made that commitment.
Which reminds me, it's our 8 year anniversary on Monday. Here's to many more years together sayang! Hopefully filled with laughter, happiness, best of health, and a little mini Dina or Rye perhaps?
Aww.. Happy 8th year anniversary sayang :)
ReplyDelete