I'm on Instagram!

Friday, May 31, 2013

Fly away!

When I found out I was pregnant, I was determined that the baby will not change our lives in anyway. Flexibility wise that is. I was adamant that we will still go out, go on holidays, have long lunches, just like normal. That was my thinking when we decided to go on a Euro holiday.



Boy was I wrong.

Travelling with an infant is not easy. Babies are very temperamental. One minute they're smiling at everyone on the plane, then you strap then up and they start screaming their head off. Then the plane takes off and suddenly she's asleep. Drama!

The best advice I can give is to KEEP CALM. Easier said than done I know. But it works. Don't worry too much about other people staring at you and your screaming baby. They're just sympathising.  They've all been there.

Bring things that your baby is familiar with. Blankie, favourite soft toy, pacifier, book. This will keep him/her occupied during the long flight/journey. 

Invest in a baby carrier and a lightweight fully collapsible stroller. They have ones suitable from birth now. Bring the carrier with you when you go sightseeing as your baby may feel bored of sitting down in their stroller and might fancy being held instead. They're also very useful in the airport when you need access to both hands and your baby suddenly wants to be held.

When taking off and landing, give your baby something to suck. Pacifier or nurse him/her to help alleviate the pressure in their ears. During the flight, take your baby around for a walk to reduce boredom.

Most hotels/apartments are happy to provide a babycot if you request in advance. If you prefer cosleeping, ensure you ask for a double bed, because sometimes they give you twin beds instead.

Bring plenty of spare clothes and diapers with you. You never know when your little one might have a little accident. Yasmin for some reason always makes a dirty nappy on a flight, and they're the kind that seeps through as well.

For those who are breastfeeding, invest in a nursing cover and get your baby used to nursing under one a few days before you go travelling. It's hard to find a nursing room sometimes so a nursing cover will prove to be very convenient. You can just plop on a bench and nurse your little one, no hassle.

I think that covers it all. Travelling with an infant us definitely do-able.  You just need to be patient to be able to respond to your baby appropriately :) Remember, KEEP CALM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment