I'm on Instagram!

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sip sip

I started Yasmin drinking from a sippy cup when she was about 7 months old. I bought the training sippy cup from Vital Baby back in Dublin. It had a soft silicone spout which I thought would be good for her soft gums. Unfortunately, she didn't really like to drink from the cup. She loved the spout though, and kept biting on it rather than drink from it. And whenever I let her hold the cup, she would just pour all the contents on the floor. So I looked for another cup for her.

Vital Baby training cup

My search led me to the Doidy cup. It was spoutless and had a slanting top to allow babies to see what they're drinking. I thought this would be a good idea as Yasmin liked to drink from my cup rather than her sippy cup. Unfortunately, her coordination wasn't very good so most of what she drank ended up on her shirt. More laundry for mummy!


Doidy cup


At this point, I feared Yasmin was getting dehydrated as she was always struggling to pass stool. Her diapers weren't that wet either. So I resorted to putting water in her bottle to drink from. But she hated this. She would only drink milk from her bottle and would push away the bottle if it had water in it. 

In the end, I decided to buy a cup with a straw, less risk of wet shirts. I figured since she knows how to suck from her bottle she'll figure out how to suck on straw soon enough. We went to the baby store and bought the one from Basilic after being recommended by a friend. Alhamdullilah, Yasmin loves to drink from her cup now! I have to top up the bottle twice a day to keep up. Her nappies are wet again and she passes stool easily, no more intense grunting and going red in the face.

Basilic straw sippy cup

My advice to mummies out there is to keep trying until you find the right cup for your baby. I know mums who've gone through numerous types/brands to find the one that their baby likes. So don't give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment