I'm on Instagram!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Too hard to resist

I got a voicemail from the Head Partner in my office this morning, asking me to call him back. So I did, and the conversation that followed was very interesting.

I've told the partners that I'll be moving to Ireland at the end of May. They were willing to offer me a career break i.e unpaid leave so that I can come back whenever I want. I said I'll think about it. I don't know what Deloitte gets if I decide to go on a career break, so not sure why they offered it, but it's definitely a good thing for me as I have something to fall back on if we decided to come back to London.

However, since the new year, a lot of the people from my intake have resigned. They said they are moving to greener pastures. I reckon it's a run for freedom. Anyways, they now have a shortage of people to manage jobs in the office. So, the partners were wondering if I would be interested in working part time for the firm after my move to Ireland. It'll probably be 3 days a week, and they'll pay for flights and accommodation. So I can still be in Ireland 4 days a week, and I can even work from Ireland for a day a week, so that I only need to be in London for 2 days a week.

I seriously don't understand what Deloitte is thinking. Surely the cost of incidentals outweighs my 'contribution' to the firm? But the partners are keen, said they need someone with the experience, yada yada yada... Sucking up habis, boosting my ego tak ingat punya hahaha.

I think this is a good offer, just because it's flexible, it gives me a chance to be in Ireland with my husband, and I can still go for job interviews in Ireland as I will be there 4 days a week. Seems like too good an offer to resist... However, I then remember those sleepless nights, the long hours, the client 'disputes', and it makes me want to leave NOW.

So, I told him I'll think about it... What do you think? Career break or work part time?

4 comments:

  1. dua2 pun best! u mesti seorg worker yg sangat sangat bagus sehingga diberi option yg begitu! huhuuuuu~ kalau i work part time la..kikiikiii : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. working part time seems like a good option kan? hish kena pikir betul2 ni....

    ReplyDelete
  3. work part time babe! without a doubt. u dun hv kids, the hours are ... yes.. killing but ure young this is the time to bertungkus lumus, u gt paid n u get to be in london n everything paid for.

    nanti dah ade anak lain cerita la :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi P, yeap definitely considering about the part time offer. gradual transition to the move to ireland, daripada terus pindah kan hehe.

    ReplyDelete