My husband and I have always been in a long distance relationship (LDR). We met when we were doing our A levels in Malaysia, but he was a year ahead so he flew off first. When he left, we both didn't feel that we could maintain a LDR. Too many challenges for a 19 year old to deal with at the time
- 8 hour time difference
- international call costs(tade skype lagi at that time)
- other eligible suitors available locally (hehe gatal kan).
But somehow we made it through that year. And then it was my turn to fly off. Another problem occured, I was in London and him in Ireland. Still in a LDR but the first 2 challenges mentioned above had been overcome, as we are now in the same time zone and skype had arrived, yay! We tried to see each other once every 3 months, and go travelling during university breaks. But it still wasn't the same as having your boyfriend near you all the time. We got used to it but sometimes you think, wouldn't it be easier if he was here instead of a plane ride away?
But then I think about the last 7 years of our LDR and what we have learned from it.
1) Communication is key. At the end of each day we try to speak to each other for at least 10 minutes. It completes my day :)
2) Trust your partner. Susah k kalau kuat jealous! Lari orang. At the same time, kalau tak jealous langsung pun susah jugak, it just looks as though you don't care. So there must be a balance.
3)Distance makes the heart grow fonder. It just makes it so much more worthwhile when you finally get to see them.
Now, we are still in a LDR. Albeit as husband and wife. I thought nothing would changed, we've done it for 7 years, so 6 months shouldn't be a problem right?
WRONG.
I miss him everyday. You think it's not possible to love someone that much, but it is. He's always there for me, either on skype or whatsapp or email. Everytime I wake up and turn to see the empty space next to me, I don't feel like getting out of bed. Early signs of depression. Coupled with my insomnia and loss of appetite, I can probably book an appointment with a therapist right now.
Long story short, I miss my husband. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Alaaaaaaa dinaaaaaaaa!! Hang in there!!!! a few more months jer lagi! You can do it!!!!
ReplyDeleteDear Dina,
ReplyDeleteI stumbled upon your blog whilst looking for reviews on Cocomaya, and was touched by this post. I am in a long-distance relationship too; have been for the last year and a bit. It really is no fun and I agree with everything you've written. It's just comforting to know that I am not alone :-)
Good luck x
hahahaha. okay cop i gelak sbb yr last sentence tu k so unlike u. 1st time nih. but alaaa dinaaa kesian uuuuu....comel laa...but like natte said...hang in there!! ape lah beza 6 months dgn 7 yrs! ok?? heeee
ReplyDeletebabe..u r not alone...uwaa jugak! Hehe..sbr ok.
ReplyDeletehi all, thank u so much for your kind words. it's definitely hard to be away from my husband, and I hope I have the strength to keep up! Insyaallah
ReplyDelete